Groundsman II (Post E) (Permanent position)
Salary Level: 2
Division: Conservation Gardens & Tourism
SANBI is seeking to appoint a hardworking and self-motivated individual to assist in cultivation and production of plants, maintenance, and some customer service and sales in the Plant Production the nursery on a permanent basis as Groundsman II.
The South African National Biodiversity Institute (SANBI) requires the service of a hardworking and self-motivated individual to assist in cultivation and production of plants, maintenance, and some customer service and sales in the Plant Production the nursery at Kirstenbosch Botanical Garden.
The successful candidate must have sound interpersonal skills, the ability to communicate in English (read and write) and a minimum of one (1) year relevant gardening experience.
The candidate should have experience of horticultural nursery/garden maintenance, work in a tidy manner and be able to maintain the nursery and the plants to a high standard, in accordance with health and safety policies. The candidate must be willing to learn more about plants and growing techniques as well as providing good customer service and sales with internal and external customers.
The successful candidate must be able to work independently as well as in a team. The applicant must be able to use a variety of equipment and tools which require physical labour and will be required to work outdoors, sometimes under adverse conditions as well as work with materials that may be poisonous/toxic. The incumbent may have to perform weekend, public holiday and standby duties when required.
The appointee will be responsible for:
- To grow plants and provide quality plant care in nursery cultivation
- To provide a good customer service
- Perform general nursery tasks and maintain the nursery and all its structures and ensure high standard of hygiene.
- Responsibility for tools and equipment
- Compliance with the Health and Safety policy.
SANBI offers an annual salary of R84 096.00 with additional fringe benefits.
- An application form (obtainable from SANBI website www.sanbi.org/jobs must accompany the CV together with a letter motivating why the applicant should be favourably considered for the position and confirming that the minimum qualifications are met (applicants lacking evidence of relevant experience will not be considered).
- A competency test will be conducted as part of the selection process.
- Applicants must also provide the full names, address and telephone number and if possible e-mail address of at least three referees.
- An application form must accompany the CV and motivational letter. Download Application Form.
- Failure to submit the requested information may result in your application not being considered.
Persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. SANBI reserves the right not to fill this position. All applications will be considered with the understanding that in terms of the SANBI Employment Equity Plan, preference will currently be given to candidates from the designated groups.
Contact Ms Zena Appollis on 021 799 8647/8800 or preferably, forward the completed application form (available from firstname.lastname@example.org) together with a motivational letter, certified copies of qualifications and concise CV via e-mail to email@example.com or fax 086 589 9569. Postal applications are to be addressed to the Assistant Director: Human Resources, South African National Biodiversity Institute, Private Bag X7, Claremont, 7735. Please put on the application form the following title: Groundsman II – post E.
Candidates are expected to be available for selection interviews on a date and time as determined by SANBI.
If no response has been received within 30 days of the closing date, candidates may consider their application unsuccessful.
Please note that any emails sent to SANBI must be under 10MB in size.