Groundsman II (Post F) (Permanent position)
Salary Level: 2
Division: Conservation Gardens & Tourism
SANBI is seeking to appoint a dependable, hard-working and self-motivated individual to maintain and develop the Administrative Buildings, Pearson House, Winter Palace and Cottages and Lodges on apermanent basis as a Groundsman II.
The South African National Biodiversity Institute (SANBI) is looking for a dependable, hard-working and self-motivated individual to maintain and develop the Administrative Buildings, Pearson House, Winter Palace and Cottages and Lodges at various sections in the garden.
The successful candidate must have sound interpersonal skills, the ability to communicate in English (read and write) and a minimum of one (1) year relevant gardening experience. The candidate should have knowledge of horticultural garden maintenance, work in a tidy manner, show pride in his/her work to maintain the garden at a high standard and work in accordance with good health and safety policies. A willingness to learn about new plants and techniques is essential.
The successful candidate must be able to work independently as well as in a team and have the ability to carry out daily, weekly and longer term planned activities relating to garden maintenance, with little guidance. The candidate must be able to use a variety of equipment and tools which require physical labour and working outdoors, sometimes under adverse conditions as well as working with materials that may be poisonous/toxic. The candidate must be willing to take instruction from his/her foreman/supervisor and thereafter work without continual supervision. It is a requirement that the incumbent be skilled in all forms of plant care.
The appointee will be responsible for:
- Maintain and develop the sections and allocated garden beds (cleaning, weeding, watering & pruning);
- Assist with potting and planting as required by Supervisor;
- Responsible for all tools and garden assets or stock issued and the correct use thereof;
- Compliance with the Health and Safety policy.
SANBI offers an annual salary of R 84 096.00 and additional fringe benefits.
- An application form (obtainable from SANBI website www.sanbi.org/jobs must accompany the CV together with a letter motivating why the applicant should be favourably considered for the position and confirming that the minimum qualifications are met (applicants lacking evidence of relevant experience will not be considered).
- A competency test will be conducted as part of the selection process.
- Applicants must also provide the full names, address and telephone number and if possible e-mail address of at least three referees.
- An application form must accompany the CV and motivational letter. Download Application Form.
- Failure to submit the requested information may result in your application not being considered.
Persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. SANBI reserves the right not to fill this position. All applications will be considered with the understanding that, in terms of the SANBI Employment Equity Plan, preference will currently be given to candidates from the designated groups.
Contact Ms Zena Appollis on (021) 7998647/8800 or preferably, forward the completed application form, a letter and concise CV via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax 0865899569. Postal applications are to be addressed to the Deputy Director: Human Resources, South African National Biodiversity Institute, Private Bag X7, Claremont, 7735. Please put on the application form the following title: Groundsman II – post F.
Candidates are expected to be available for selection interviews on a date and time as determined by SANBI.
If no response has been received within 30 days of the closing date, candidates may consider their applications unsuccessful.
Please note that any emails sent to SANBI must be under 10MB in size.