Big Bug Expo: Gigantic insects roam the Walter Sisulu National Botanical Garden

14 November 2012

Grasshopper bug at Walter Sisulu NBGThese big bugs can be seen at the Walter Sisulu National Botanical Garden. Fortunately they are not alive, but a creations made of scrap metal and dexterously welded to create larger than life size replicas of selected insects, carefully crafted to the minor detail of their anatomy and blown up 5000 times their actual size.

The Big Bugs Expo in the Garden – an exhibition of artwork of metal crafted insects takes place at the Botanical Garden from 1 Nov  2012 – 6 Jan 2013.

David Huni, creator of Big BugsWell-travelled David Huni is the artist responsible for these amazing big bugs. His passion for art started as a childhood hobby that included drawing, painting, crafting and carving. His outstanding talent saw him doing projects in various countries such as China, Botswana, Portugal, Iran and South Korea amongst others. His interest in environmental matters and biodiversity is what spurred him to take interest in recreating gigantic metal insects.  Imagine what the world would be like if these big bugs were real!

To remind you this takes place in the Garden being featured in a list of the Best Botanical Gardens around the World “To see before one dies”.  The Garden also won the Best Place to Get back to Nature in the Best of Joburg’s Readers Choice Awards 2012 for the ninth time.

Big bug at walter Sisulu NBGHuni will be available on certain days to give a demonstration of how he creates his  big bugs and some may even be for sale. Keep an eye on our facebook webpage https://www.facebook.com/wsnbg for his availability.

Share Share this article

Comments

Submitted by Kereng at 06/05/2013 - 18:22
the insects exposed looks too real to be metal sculptures, good craftsmanship, thumps up and thank you for this creative thinking I had a good weekend with my kids in Pretoria botanic garden.
Submitted by Linda Choto at 30/12/2012 - 10:19
Big Bug Expo is wonderful i love it.
Submitted by Insect Photographer South Africa at 25/12/2012 - 14:33
Good craftsmanship the ants anatomy looks as real as it would look through a magnifying glass to the real ant. good creativity and talent i love it.
Submitted by Ian Forbes at 22/12/2012 - 10:02
All the way from Australia touring South Africa, I have traveled the world visiting many botanic gardens but never came across this good natural thought, Keep it up South Africa.
Submitted by alesia silayeva at 19/12/2012 - 21:36
very beatrifull
Submitted by Sharon Smith United Kingdom at 11/12/2012 - 9:11
from the bottom of my heart than you so much for making these beautiful neverseen even in our home country. They are well created and so perfect, you have made our dream come true and alive and fulfilled our fanacy. and yes we all agree that the craftsmanship is Paris Disney Land standards.
Submitted by Sharon Smith United Kingdom at 11/12/2012 - 9:05
My family is found of bugs, Me and my hasband have spoiled the kids with insects toys, games, even their bedrooms are insects wall paper. After reading the paper we went to Walter Sisulu botanic Gaden for the Big Bug Expo. how wonderful the bugs are made. We hopped to meet the creator as well David Huni but he was not there, last week again we did not see him. My kids really wanted to get an david's autography, its a pity that we flyback to the UK this weekend withought meeting him.
Submitted by UJ Student at 08/12/2012 - 16:02
while in Sisulu Gardens i recognised that the big bugs are in the rightful place and the visitors love them as well. I saw many people taking photographs with their kids and admiring them so much. I wish we could as well have some few at the campas as they create awareness on several issues relating to our common cause and the planet we live in. I personally like reading and following topics related to saving the environment and today my day was made in a great way.
Submitted by UJ Student at 08/12/2012 - 15:40
I went to Sisulu Gardens today just to see the bugs after my frineds told me, i love the concept too, full of education, biodiversity, recycling, environmental care, going green. Thanks to Sanbi for such an educational resourseful implementation and to David thanks for shining with your great gift keep shining. in my own capacity i say yes i agree with previour comments that the city parks should consider as well because this has so much influence to our generation towards saving the planet.
Submitted by Submitted by Anonymous at 29/11/2012 - 23:21