A Jobs Fund project aimed at developing priority skills in the biodiversity sector to create sustainable job opportunities for 800 unemployed graduates and matriculants.
The South African National Biodiversity Institute (SANBI) is pleased to announce that it has embarked on a major skills development and job creation pilot programme, Groen Sebenza, a Jobs Fund Partnership Project. Groen Sebenza is aimed at developing priority skills in the biodiversity sector to create sustainable job opportunities for 800 unemployed graduates and matriculants. Groen Sebenza which means Green (in Afrikaans) and Work (in isiZulu) brings young South Africans from previously disadvantaged backgrounds together with experienced biodiversity professionals to learn, grow and eventually gain the competence and confidence to embark on rewarding and meaningful biodiversity careers. The programme partners with 33 organisations from all tiers of government, NGOs and the private sector. The human capital development strategy for the Biodiversity sector indicates that South Africa has a shortage of skills to manage its biodiversity. Various historical inequalities have also contributed to this skills shortage. The programme has been initiated to respond to these demands, as identified by the various research efforts conducted in the sector.
The Groen Sebenza Internship opportunity
Groen Sebenza is based on an "incubator model" giving the 800 participating youth workplace experience through a structured mentoring programme, together with skills development and training opportunities for a period of two-and-a-half (2½) years. 500 graduates and 300 school leavers (matriculants) referred to as 'incubants' will be placed with one of the 33 partner organisations for the duration of the project.
- Unemployed youth from previously disadvantaged backgrounds.
- South African citizenship.
- Primary residence and schooling in rural areas.
- 50/50 gender split.
- A national matriculation certificate for the School leaver placement.
- A national diploma or first B-degree for the Graduate placement.
- A demonstrated and clearly articulated commitment to the environment.
- A commitment to a career development in the environmental sector.
- Good leadership potential.
We welcome the following participating organisations and government departments and look forward to receiving the ‘incubants’ they will be hosting:
- SANBI - South African National Biodiversity Institute (106)
- DEA - Natural Resource Management (91)
- WESSA (59)
- South African National Parks (51)
- DEA - Education, Training & Development (50)
- WWF-SA (30)
- Department Agriculture, Forestry & Fisheries (23)
- NCC -Nature Conservation Environmental Services (9)
- Botanical Society of SA (5)
- Cape Nature (40)
- Chrysalis Academy (25)
- City Of Cape Town (14)
- Cape West Coast Biosphere Reserve (13)
- Gondwana Alive (4)
- Wildlands Conservation Trust (38)
- Ezemvelo KZN Wildlife (20)
- iSimangaliso Wetland Park Authority (17)
- D.U.C.T - Duzi uMngeni Conservation Trust (4)
- Groundtruth (3)
- Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality (16)
- Rhodes University (7)
- ECPTA-Eastern Cape Parks & Tourism (7)
- Sustaining Wild Coast Trust (3)
- Living Lands (3)
- EWT - Endangered Wildlife Trust (12)
- City of Tshwane (6)
- Ekurhuleni Municipality (5)
- Conservation SA (5)
- Indigo-Development & Change (2)
- Department of Environment and Nature Conservation (5)
- EMG - Environmental Monitoring Group (3)
- LEDET-Limpopo Department of Economic Development Environment & Tourism (120)
- Waterberg Biosphere Reserve (4)\
The Programme is governed by a Project Steering Committee which consists of high level representatives from the 33 Partner organisations or government departments
The Project Secretariat consists of the following staff members:
Ms Vivian Malema (Project Director)
Mr Donavan Fullard (Programme Manager)
Ms Romela Herman (Project Admin support).
The following Task Teams have been set up to assist the Project with implementation.
- Skills development and Training
- Recruitment, Selection and Placement
- Monitoring and Evaluation
- Finances, Bursaries and Reporting
- Branding and Communication
Contact Donavan Fullard if you have further enquiries about Groen Sebenza.
To see if there are Groen Sebenza jobs advertised at present, check the Jobs & Opportunities page