Pretoria NBG Environmental Education
The Biodiversity Education and Empowerment programme at the Pretoria National Botanical Garden is conducted from the Environmental Education Centre. The Centre is ideally situated in the heart of a natural grassland. This makes it an ideal spot for a wide range of activities and learning opportunities about grassland biodiversity.
Programmes offered by the Education Centre
- Garden–based education programmes for learners, educators and other groups
- Capacity development programmes
- Environmental calenders days awareness programmes
- Greening programmes
The Centre also has a Resources Room, which has a wide range of materials and information on environmental education themes for teachers and learners to consult for planning lessons, projects and portfolio work.
The Garden-based Programme targets learners (Gr. R-12) and tertiary institutions.
The programmes are activity-based and learner-centred, reflecting the outcomes of the National Curriculum Statement, across all learning areas. All programmes are facilitated by trained education staff. Learners receive worksheets to complete which could serve as assessment tools and portfolio evidence. Lesson plans are available to educators.
The main focus is on learning about biodiversity and education for sustainable living. There are a variety of programmes on ecology and surveys, diversity and classification of life, threats to biodiversity and how dependent people are on using plants in everyday life.
(for reservations see Contact Details below)
Booking is essential. Book at least one month in advance to avoid disappointment.
- School bookings are open for any weekday between 09:00 and 12:30 & 13h30-16h00.
- Guided educational visit costs R10.00 per learner (a min number of 16 learners required). Teachers who assist have free entrance (1 teacher per 20 learners).
- A 50% deposit is required to secure a booking for a guided visit.
- We can accommodate a max of 120 learners per day.
- Bring your own refreshments, as there is no kiosk.
- Learners should wear their school uniform. Comfortable shoes are essential (also for educators).
Should you prefer to conduct your own outing, the cost is R7.00 per learner and R20.00 per adult.
List of programmes on offer
Visit the Document Library to download the List of Programmes on offer.
The Outreach Greening Programme is a practical way in which the school and the community can create a greener and healthier environment. This is a three year process and goes hand in hand with the Eco-Schools Programme.
Before planting their own indigenous garden, an Outreach Greening School will follow a series of workshops covering topics on indigenous plants, garden design, plant propagation and maintenance. Each school is represented by a "Green Team", comprising educators, learners, the gardener and/or a community member. Finally the school hosts an Open Day, when the Green Team hands over the garden to the school.
The indigenous garden serves as educational resource for learning and teaching.
Workshops are based on Greening South African Schools. This resource pack is obtainable from Share-Net (PO Box 394, Howick 3290) Tel (033) 330 3931) or at the Cost R55.00.
Tel: 012 843 5186/ 012 843 5000
Visit the Pretoria NBG Garden Maps page to access maps with location details.