About the Biodiversity Centre
Mokopane Biodiversity Conservation Centre (BBC) was established in 1979 and opened to the public in October 1981, as a satellite station of the National Zoological Garden (NZG), Pretoria Zoo. In 2004 the NZG was proclaimed as a National Facility. In December 2007 the Centre was given national protective status with it been proclaimed as part of the Makapan Valley World Heritage Site, one of the three serial site forming part of the Cradle of Humankind.
The Centre covers an area of 1334 ha, comprising of a Zoo like environment, breeding camps and a free ranging area, all accommodating a large variety of African species as well as species form other continents.
The centre is ideally situated on the northern outskirts of Mokopane (formerly Potgietersrus), off the R101, only two hours drive from Pretoria.
Address: Thabo Mbeki Drive, Mokopane
GPS Coordinates: 24°10’17.77″S 29°01’02.44″E
- Adult (16 years and older): R40.00pp
- Child (2-17 years): R25.00pp
- Children under the age of 2: Free
- Conservation fee: R15-00 Per vehicle
- School groups :R20 per person (Only during school terms and Monday to Friday)
- Wedding Photos: R400-00 (for a group of 30 people for only 1 hour).
- Game drives: R150 pp (minimum of 4 people or R 600 with a maximum of 10 people per vehicle)
- Morning Feeding trips: R75 per person (minimum of 4 people or R300 with a maximum of 10 people per vehicle).
- Open 7 days a week including Public Holidays
- Entry from 09:00 to 16:00
- Exit by 18:00
The Centre offers both overnight accommodation in a self-catering guest house and those wishing to camp. The Centre has a self-catering guest house located within the zoo environment for travellers during the week and sole booking over weekends.
The facility can accommodate 8 people in 4 rooms each with its own bathroom. Room 4’s bathroom has been modified, providing a bathroom (shower) for people who are disabled. Each room is air conditioned. There is a main kitchen and two kitchenettes. One kitchenette is in room 4 with rooms 1 and 2 sharing the other kitchenette. But travellers may use any of the kitchens.
The guest house is serviced, and dishes are washed once daily. The communal living room with air conditioner and Wi-Fi (please request a voucher at reception upon your arrival).
Outside has a fireplace to social around and braai stands for that traditional South Africa Braai. One is to provide your own wood. There is 24 hour access control at the main entrance gate and security at night.
- Sharing: R210 per person per night
- Single: R300 per person per night
- Sharing: R120 per person per night
- Single: R210 per person per night
- For site: R70 per site (two tents/single Caravan)
- Additional of: R 70.00 per person
Tel: +27 15 491 4314 or +27 15 491 4911
Fax: +27 15 491 7510