- SANBI is an equal opportunity employer and appointments are made in line with the Employment Equity Act, No. 55 of 1998. All job applicants are considered, but currently preference is being given to candidates from designated groups. This is in line with the SANBI Employment Equity Plan, which is under review.
- SANBI also complies with other relevant labour legislation such as the Public Service Act, No. 103 of 1994, Public Service Regulations, Basic Conditions of Employment Act, No. 75 of 1997, Labour Relations Act, No. 66 of 1995, Occupational Health and Safety Act, No. 85 of 1993, Skills Development Act, No. 97 of 1998, Skills Development Levies Act, No. 9 of 1999, and the Compensation of Occupational Injuries and Diseases Act, No. 130 of 1993.
- All vacancies are advertised internally and in local and/or national newspapers. Most positions are also advertised on the SANBI website.
- Where possible, appointments are made internally to ensure adequate promotion and advancement of people from designated groups. Where SANBI does not have suitably qualified candidates to fill vacancies from within, suitably qualified external candidates from the designated groups are considered for positions.
- The South African National Biodiversity Institute (SANBI) is listed in the Public Finance Management Act (PFMA) as a public entity under the Department of Environmental Affairs (DEA). SANBI was established under the National Environmental Management: Biodiversity Act No. 10 of 2004 (NEMBA). All appointments in SANBI are made in terms of NEMBA.
How to apply for a post at SANBI
- Applications for advertised posts can be submitted by fax, e-mail, hand delivery or through the normal mail.
- The address to be used for sending an application is always stipulated in the advertisement.
- All applications received are recorded and considered for a shortlist based on the requirements of the position as stipulated in the relevant advertisement.
- Unsolicited applications are not considered owing to a lack of vacancies.
Read more about SANBI’s Remuneration and Benefits.
SANBI also offers Studying and Volunteering Opportunities.