Author: Mpfunzeni Tshindane
The South African National Biodiversity Institute (SANBI) issued a call for Expressions of Interest (EOIs) in December 2017 for institutions who wish to make use of the SANBI’s services as an Accredited Entity of the Green Climate Fund (GCF). At the time of closure, a total of 126 EOIs were received by SANBI in response to this call.
All submissions that were received were subjected to an extensive review against SANBI’s GCF Funding Framework. The outcome of this extensive review process was the shortlisting of six project themes which SANBI will be developing into project proposals for submission to the GCF.
Two of these project themes are being developed into first stage GCF Concept Notes for submission to the GCF before the end of 2020. They are as follows:
- Scaling up ecosystem-based approaches to managing climate-intensified disaster risks in vulnerable regions of South Africa, focusing on droughts, floods and fire that builds on a submission by DEA NRM.
- Climate resilient agro-ecological farming systems in rural landscapes in KwaZulu-Natal, the Eastern Cape and Limpopo, that builds on a submission by the University of KwaZulu Natal, in partnership with DAFF
The remaining four project themes have been identified as SANBI’s GCF project priorities and will need substantial further development through future technical processes and stakeholder engagements. The theses are as follows:
- A Strategic Water Source Areas project in Mpumalanga that focuses on vulnerable communities affected by South Africa’s energy transition.
- An aquifer recharge project that focuses on Ecological Infrastructure and the enhancement of natural recharge mechanisms.
- A coastal Ecosystem-based Adaptation / Ecological Infrastructure that incorporates natural and built infrastructure.
- A project that seeks to mainstream Climate Change into South Africa’s Early Warning System for pests and diseases.
SANBI wishes to thank all its project partners for the support and patience throughout this review process. If you or your organisation would like more information about how you could become involved in the upcoming projects development processes, or to be added to our stakeholder databases for the upcoming technical and/or stakeholder engagement processes for any of the project themes, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please email Mpfunzeni Tshindane (M.Tshindane@sanbi.org.za) to join SANBI’s NIE mailing list to receive future updates from the Adaptation Fund and GCF.