The South African National Biodiversity Institute (SANBI) is seeking to fill an executive management position of Chief Director: Biodiversity Assessment and Knowledge Generation. SANBI contributes to South Africa’s sustainable development by facilitating the conservation, restoration and sustainable management of biodiversity assets and ecological infrastructure, unlocking nature’s contribution to people through providing appropriate knowledge, evidence, and policy support, and piloting innovative nature based solutions towards achieving National Development goals.
The executive manager is required to provide strategic leadership and management for SANBI’s programmes of applied biodiversity research, assessment, and monitoring in order to inform state of biodiversity reporting and improve knowledge and evidence to support policy and decision making. This includes SANBI’s scientific support for the Scientific Authority and environmental programmes undertaken by the Department of Environment, Forestry and Fisheries.
Inherent job requirements
- A relevant postgraduate qualification in Life Sciences, Natural Sciences, Ecology, Biology, Botany, or equivalent qualification with NQF9
- A minimum of ten (10) years’ management experience of which five (5) years’ should have been served at a senior management position. PhD or equivalent degree at NQF 10 will be an added advantage
- Demonstrable competency in understanding and leading research processes and outputs
- Evidence of participation and leadership in relevant national and international bodies focusing on biodiversity science and/or the science-policy interface
- Competency in strategic planning and the management of outputs and risks
- Experience with development and oversight of donor funded projects • Excellent interpersonal skills and an exemplary work ethic
- A working knowledge of legislation and policy pertaining to biodiversity is a very strong recommendation. The incumbent will be required to travel extensively; therefore, a valid code B unendorsed driver’s licence will be required.
Key responsibilities include
- Lead the development and implementation of the Research Strategy for SANBI.
- Contribute towards the development and implementation of SANBI’s strategic plan as a member of the executive.
- Provide strategic leadership for SANBI in the thematic areas of work assigned to the Biodiversity Assessment and Knowledge Generation Division (including the leadership of cross functional areas of work relating to the National Biodiversity Assessment, biological invasions and the biodiversity economy)
- Exercise executive oversight of the work programme and projects within the Biodiversity Assessment and Knowledge Generation Division
- Oversee SANBI’s technical and scientific support for the Scientific Authority
- Advise the Head: Biodiversity Science and Policy Advice on issues relating to biodiversity research, monitoring and assessment
- Champion the transformation, Human Capital Development Strategy for the Division and steer organisational coherence.
- An application form obtainable from our Offices must be accompanied by a letter motivating why the applicant should be favourably considered for the position and confirming that the minimum requirements are met. Applicants lacking evidence of relevant experience will not be considered.
- Applicants must also provide the names and contact details of at least three referees
- A skills test, competency assessment and background checks will be conducted as part of the selection process
- Failure to submit the requested information may result in your application not being considered.
Persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. SANBI reserves the right not to fill this position. All applications will be considered with the understanding that, in terms of the SANBI Employment Equity Plan, preference will currently be given to candidates from the designated groups.
Forward the completed application form, a letter, and concise CV via e-mail to email@example.com.
Postal applications are to be addressed to:
Chief Director: Human Resources,
South African National Biodiversity Institute,
Pretoria or Private Bag X101,
Candidates are expected to be available for interviews on a date and time as determined by SANBI.
Mr Maano Netshiombo
Cell: 082 453 0497
Closes: Friday, 14 August 2020
Job type: Permanent
Salary package: R1 122 417 - R 1 571 384 per annum