Reference number: NZG/014/2022
The South African National Biodiversity Institute (SANBI) is looking for a highly motivated individual to develop veterinary service policies, strategies, and maintenance of animal health at the National Zoological Garden (NZG) of SANBI, ensuring that these policies, strategies, and maintenance of animal health are aligned with SANBI objectives, and they are complying with relevant legislative requirements.
This position requires a degree in Veterinary, Natural Sciences or equivalent qualification with NQF 7. Postgraduate qualification or equivalent qualification at NQF 8 will be an added advantage. This position also requires 8 years’ experience in relevant field, 4 years of which should be in first line management position(s).
The following competencies are required for the candidate to be successful in this position: comprehensive knowledge and in-depth experience in wildlife management, animal health management, animal protection, animal diseases, animal medicines, and related substance controls; extensive knowledge and experience of working with legislation, policies, procedures, processes, practices, systems, and frameworks related to wildlife management, animal health management, animal protection, animal diseases, animal medicines, and related substance controls; proven ability to work under pressure with diverse team while being quality, cost, and safety conscious; advanced planning, organising, problem solving and interpersonal skills; excellent communication (both verbal and written); excellent computer literacy and experience in the application of software tools including (Ms Word, MS Project, PowerPoint, Excel, Internet and Outlook).
The possession of a valid driver’s licence with at least one-year practical driving experience and a willingness to travel is essential.
Key performance responsibilities include:
- Perform animal health management of all National Zoological Gardens (NZG) animal collections;
- Ensure legal and professional accountability;
- Attend to the development and promotion of Veterinary specialist consultancy services;
- Provide administration, personnel management & development services;
- Ensure effective financial management; and
- Promote effective liaison and networking.
1) An application form must accompany the CV together with a letter motivating why the applicant should be favourably considered for this position, and certified qualifications confirming that the minimum qualifications are met (applicants lacking evidence of meeting minimum qualifications and relevant experience will not be considered).
2) A competency test will be conducted as part of the selection process.
3) Applicants must also provide the full names, addresses and telephone numbers and if possible e-mail addresses of at least three referees.
4) Failure to submit the requested information and reference number shall result in your application not being considered.
Personal Information will be processed by SANBI for purposes of assessing your suitability for the advertised position. SANBI may also share your personal information including special personal information with service providers or third parties, both within the Republic of South Africa and in other jurisdictions, to carry out verification of qualifications and other necessary documents, background and reference checks, competency assessment tests, and criminal record checks.
In this regard, by virtue of your application, you acknowledge that SANBI’s authorised verification agent(s) and service providers will access your personal information including special personal information to conduct background screening, verification of qualifications and other necessary documents, reference checks, competency assessment tests, and criminal record checks. For more information, kindly refer to SANBI’s website.
Persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. SANBI reserves the right not to fill this position. All applications will be considered with the understanding that, in terms of the SANBI Employment Equity Plan, preference will be given to candidates from the designated groups.
Applications consisting of the completed application form, motivation letter, a concise CV, and certified qualifications must be submitted via an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org quoting the reference number of the advert on the subject line of the email.
Postal applications must be addressed to:
Assistant Director: Human Resources Operations
South African National Biodiversity Institute
Private Bag X101
Mr Leslie Mudimeli
Tel.: 012 339 2708
Closes: Friday, 25 November 2022
Job type: Permanent
Salary: R882 042.00 per annum