Centre for Wildlife Health
The National Zoological Garden (NZG) is a rapidly transforming facility reporting to the South African National Biodiversity Institute (SANBI). It has an impressive animal collection, a breeding centre as well as a wildlife research centre. The NZG is well placed as an education and awareness platform for visitors comprising of educators, learners, students, special interest groups and the general public. The following challenging opportunity is in the process of being filled:
The National Zoological Garden is looking for well-qualified, experienced, hard-working, enthusiastic and motivated person to be appointed as Chief Veterinarian: Centre for Wildlife Health.
Amongst others, the successful applicant will be expected to perform the following duties:
- A team of clinical veterinarians, veterinary nurses and veterinary assistants
- An up to date and “State of the Art” specialized wildlife health service to the animal collections, as well as wildlife veterinary research activities and conservation efforts
- Clinical medical record keeping and compliance
- Reporting of clinical cases and veterinary events to senior management
- Reporting notifiable diseases to the Provincial Sate Veterinarian and Department of Agriculture and Fisheries
- Compliance and registration with veterinary and conservation legislation
- Input to management on veterinary matters when required
- Effective financial (expenditure, assets, stock take etc.) and pharmaceutical management of the Centre for Wildlife Health
- Mentoring and training initiatives for staff, under and post graduate students and internships
- Networking with national and international institutions in terms of zoological medicine, research and health advancement of wildlife
- Disseminating of knowledge by publishing in ISI journals and presenting at national and international conferences.
- BVSc and a M.Med.Vet or MSc in veterinary medicine
- PhD will be an added advantage
- Advance courses in various veterinary science discipline e.g. (wildlife immobilization; reproduction; nutrition)
- Registered as Specialist Veterinarian with the South African Veterinary Council
- 10 years’ experience as a veterinarian, preferably in wildlife
This position will seek to provide representivity and address the imbalance of the past. Interested parties are requested to send applications (with a cover letter, full CV and certified copies of qualifications) to the email address below. Short-listed candidates who are invited to an interview will be expected to demonstrate proof of the above key competencies and minimum requirements.
Applications should be forwarded to: firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject: Chief Veterinarian.
The National Zoological Garden, South African National Biodiversity Institute is committed to employment equity and redress. The NZG reserves the right not to fill this position. Should you not hear from us within 30 days from the closing date consider your application as being unsuccessful. Correspondence will be limited to shortlisted candidates.
Tel.: 012 339 2700
Closes: Saturday, 31 August 2019
Job type: Permanent