Reference Number: NSCF/2020/002
The South African National Biodiversity Institute (SANBI) requires an efficient and enthusiastic person with an interest in biodiversity data to support the Natural Science Collections Facility (NSCF) by contributing to improving the data quality for collection institution’s data sets and co-ordinating processes of data quality upgrading.
This position requires the candidate to have at least a four (4) year degree in Biological/Environmental Sciences enhanced by a minimum of 3-5 years of experience related to biodiversity specimen/observation records (data capture management, cleaning, georeferencing).
The incumbent must demonstrate exceptional proficiency in MS Excel, Access and GIS software, and must demonstrate a high level of attention to detail and ability to stay organised when dealing with large amounts of data. Experience in using Specify software will be an added advantage as will experience in training or teaching. A willingness to travel, and to work as part of the team and a real interest in further developing skills and expertise in biodiversity data are essential.
The successful candidate must be in possession of a valid Code B (unendorsed) driver’s license.
- Identify needs and develop work plans for data quality review and verification in museums, and to supervise, train and assist NSCF and museum staff in executing these work plans
- Assist the NSCF data coordinator with the development and implementation of processes to georeference museum specimen records
- Development, implementation and monitoring of standard processes and workflows for data management in museums
- Coordinate learnerships in biodiversity data management with NSCF and partner institution staff
- Undertake own capacity development in biodiversity data management.
1) Apply online, send application form attached here and attach the CV together with a letter motivating why the applicant should be favourably considered for the position and confirming that the minimum qualifications are met (applicants lacking evidence of relevant experience will not be considered)
2) A skills test will be conducted as part of the selection process
3) Applicants must also provide the full names, telephone numbers and if possible e-mail addresses of at least three referees
4) Failure to submit the requested information may result in your application not being considered.
Persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. SANBI reserves the right not to fill this position.
All applications will be considered with the understanding that, in terms of the SANBI Employment Equity Plan, preference will currently be given to candidates from the designated groups.
Candidates are expected to be available for interviews on a date and time as determined by SANBI. If no response has been received within 30 days of the closing date, candidates may consider their applications unsuccessful.
Postal applications are to be addressed to:
Assistant Director: Human Resources,
South African National Biodiversity Institute,
Private Bag X101,
Mr. Steve Mahlangu
Tel.: 012 843 5217
Closes: Wednesday, 30 September 2020
Location: Pretoria (option of basing post at other Centres may be considered)
Job type: Two (2) year contract
Salary package: R370 655.00 to R518 916.00 per annum