Reference number: GKBC/007/2022
The South African National Biodiversity Institute (SANBI) requires the services of a experienced and reliable individual to perform general driving duties on a temporary contract basis for a period of 18 months.
The successful candidate is required to be in possession of a Grade 12, or equivalent NQF 4 qualification. The possession of a valid C driver’s license, PDP and ability to operate a 60 seater passenger bus (>160000 kgs) will be a requirement. In addition this position requires three (3) years driving experience in operating a 4x4 tractor with slasher, tractor with water tanker, tractor with trailer, truck, and a TLB (Tractor-Loader-Backhoe). A good understanding of Health and safety standards and procedures will be a further advantage.
The incumbent must be able to do garden and estate maintenance related work around the entire campus and be willing to perform weekend duties on a rotational basis which includes transporting staff to and from the workplace. The incumbent must be in possession of a valid competency certificate for operating the mentioned vehicles and tractor-loader-backhoe plant.
The responsibilities include
- Safely and skillfully operate a 4x4 tractor with slasher, tractor with water tanker, tractor with trailer, truck, and a TLB (Tractor-Loader-Backhoe);
- Maintain equipment in proper operating condition by performing simple preventive maintenance and repair tasks such as making simple adjustments, replacing minor parts, and lubricating equipment.
- Assist with general administration and other ad-hoc tasks in and around the centre;
- Compliance with Health and Safety policy;
- Providing general support to other teams where driving and transporting is required;
- Planning and distribution of tasks.
1) An application form must accompany the CV together with a letter motivating why the applicant should be favourably considered for this position, and certified qualifications confirming that the minimum qualifications are met (applicants lacking evidence of meeting minimum qualifications and relevant experience will not be considered).
2) A competency test will be conducted as part of the selection process.
3) Applicants must also provide the full names, addresses and telephone numbers and if possible e-mail addresses of at least three referees.
4) Failure to submit the requested information and reference number shall result in your application not being considered.
Personal Information will be processed by SANBI for purposes of assessing your suitability for the advertised position. SANBI may also share your personal information including special personal information with service providers or third parties, both within the Republic of South Africa and in other jurisdictions, to carry out verification of qualifications and other necessary documents, background and reference checks, competency assessment tests, and criminal record checks.
In this regard, by virtue of your application, you acknowledge that SANBI’s authorised verification agent(s) and service providers will access your personal information including special personal information to conduct background screening, verification of qualifications and other necessary documents, reference checks, competency assessment tests, and criminal record checks. For more information, kindly refer to SANBI’s website.
Persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. SANBI reserves the right not to fill this position. All applications will be considered with the understanding that, in terms of the SANBI Employment Equity Plan, preference will be given to candidates from the designated groups.
Applications consisting of the completed application form, motivation letter, a concise CV, and certified qualifications are to be submitted via an e-mail to email@example.com Postal applications must be addressed to:
Deputy Director: Human Resources
South African National Biodiversity Institute
Private Bag X7
Candidates are expected to be available for selection interviews on a date and time as determined by SANBI. If no response has been received within 30 days of the closing date, candidates must consider their applications unsuccessful.
Ms Zena Appollis
Tel.: +27 (0)21 799 8647/8800
Closes: Friday, 25 November 2022
Job type: Fixed-term contract for 18 months
Location: Cape Town
Salary: R147 459.00 per annum