Peromnes Grade 4
The South African National Biodiversity Institute (SANBI) contributes to South Africa’s sustainable development by facilitating access to biodiversity data, generating information and knowledge, building capacity, providing policy advice, showcasing and conserving biodiversity in its national botanical and zoological gardens. SANBI has 14 main campuses throughout South Africa.
The National Zoological Garden (NZG) presently employs about 300 staff members working in the field of ex-situ conservation and manages over 9000 specimen of nearly 700 different animal and fish species at the NZG in Tshwane and its biodiversity conservation centre at Mokopane. The NZG houses one of the largest and most diverse animal collections in the world.
This exciting career opportunity is available for the right candidate to be strategically involved and lead the biodiversity agenda. This post currently reports to the SANBI Chief Executive Officer (CEO).
A post graduate qualification in the Natural Sciences or a discipline relevant to the scope of work, as well as a well-established research profile in either Conservation Biology, Conservation Genetics, Biodiversity Science, Evolutionary Biology, Biosystematics, Wildlife management, Endocrinology or Epidemiology or other related disciplines. A Masters/MBA degree will be an added advantage. The candidate must have a minimum of 10 years’ work experience, 5 of which should be at senior management level.
Furthermore, the candidate must have sound business, leadership, communication and people skills. They must also be able to relate to a diverse group of stakeholders who include staff, unions, academics, scientists and the general public. They should also have a passion for the conservation of Africa's biodiversity and have a working knowledge of National and Global conservation policies and strategies.
The candidate must have excellent English communication skills (written and verbal), analytical skills, strong leadership skills as well as excellent interpersonal skills to collaborate, influence, negotiate and resolve conflict. Proficiency in MS Office is a prerequisite, as well as a valid (unendorsed) driver’s licence. The candidate must be willing to travel extensively.
Key responsibilities include
- Lead, manage and provide strategic leadership to the NZG, including the Mokopane facility.
- Invest in and implement effective science engagement activities to increase public awareness of engagement with and participation in science.
- Develop an animal collection that meets the needs of the various stakeholders and contributes to biodiversity conservation.
- Contribute to the development of the precinct that enables the NZG to meet its mandate.
- Entrench a service culture, employee engagement and reputation management.
- Assist in building a sustainable business.
- Support human capital development and transformation.
- Support the integration of the NZG into SANBI.
- Support the office of the CEO as applicable for all management requirements of the SANBI Corporate Strategic Plan.
1) An application form must accompany the CV together with a letter motivating why the applicant should be favourably considered for the position and confirming that the minimum qualifications are met (applicants lacking evidence of relevant experience will not be considered).
2) A skills test and competency assessment will be conducted as part of the selection process
3) Applicants must also provide the full names, telephone numbers and if possible e-mail addresses of at least three referees.
4) Failure to submit the requested information may result in your application not being considered.
Persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. SANBI reserves the right not to fill this position. All applications will be considered with the understanding that, in terms of the SANBI Employment Equity Plan, preference will currently be given to candidates from the designated groups.
Contact Mr Maano Netshiombo on (012) 843 5295 or, preferably, forward the completed application form a motivational letter, certified copies of qualifications, ID, Drivers License and concise CV via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Postal applications are to be addressed to the:
Assistant Director: Human Resources,
South African National Biodiversity Institute,
Private Bag X101,
Candidates are expected to be available for selection interviews on a date and time as determined by SANBI. If no response has been received within 30 days of the closing date, candidates may consider that their applications are unsuccessful.
Closes: Friday, 16 August 2019
Job type: Permanent
Salary package: R 1 145 524 per annum