Reference number: GNEU/2022/004
The South African National Biodiversity Institute (SANBI) requires the services of a self-motivated, innovative, business focused and results-driven individual who will lead and direct a team in the efficient operational management of a nationally renowned Hantam National Botanical Garden in the Northern Cape and ensuring the conservation and appreciation of the natural, cultural and historic values of this ‘wild’ National Botanical Garden, comprising a natural area of over 6,000 ha, through the development and implementation of strategic and operational plans and programs, consistent with statutory responsibilities and corporate policies.
The successful candidate must be in possession of a degree in Horticulture or Nature Conservation, Life Sciences, Ecology, Biology, Botany, or equivalent qualification at NQF 7. In addition a qualification in Business Administration or Honours or equivalent at NQF 8 will be an added advantage, 8 years’ experience in relevant field, of which 4 years’ be in first line management position(s) as a practicing Conservation Manager or Horticulturist.
The incumbent must be a strategic thinker and with experience in the supervision of staff and have good management, leadership, coordination, administrative and financial management. Experience/exposure to nature-based tourism, management and conservation. In depth understanding of national and global biodiversity conservation and of global botanical garden management. Knowledge about legislation pertaining to biodiversity conservation and on the management of organization finances. Skills knowledge and experience in Project Management. Knowledge about Government Policies, Acts, Legislation, human resources, procurement and financial management policies.
The successful candidate will be expected to work out of normal working hours including Saturdays, Sundays, public holidays and be on standby duty. The incumbent must demonstrate the ability to maintain sound interpersonal relations/communications with both internal and external stakeholders and have an excellent spoken and written command of English, with an understanding and spoken/written command of Afrikaans, as well as knowledge of the indigenous plants of the Succulent Karoo, an added advantage.
The candidate must be proficient in MS Office as well as have a valid Code B/EB drivers’ license with at least (1) one year’s practical driving experience. Due to operational requirements the successful candidate will be expected to live in the allocated staff residence.
The responsibilities include
- Provide strategic leadership in the development and maintenance operations of the National Botanical Garden, their living collections, associated estates, facilities and infrastructure;
- Ensure that there is proper governance within the National Botanical Garden, effective budget management, project management, income generation and marketing of operations for the national botanical gardens;
- Develop and maintain strategic partnerships;
- Ensure effective contract management;
- Drive sound budget management, project management, income generation and marketing operations of the botanical gardens Ensure effective contract management;
- Improve workplace health, safety and security;
- Drive Human Capital Development and Transformation.
1) An application form must accompany the CV together with a letter motivating why the applicant should be favourably considered for this position, and certified qualifications confirming that the minimum qualifications are met (applicants lacking evidence of meeting minimum qualifications and relevant experience will not be considered).
2) A competency test will be conducted as part of the selection process.
3) Applicants must also provide the full names, addresses and telephone numbers and if possible e-mail addresses of at least three referees.
4) Failure to submit the requested information and reference number shall result in your application not being considered.
Personal Information will be processed by SANBI for purposes of assessing your suitability for the advertised position. SANBI may also share your personal information including special personal information with service providers or third parties, both within the Republic of South Africa and in other jurisdictions, to carry out verification of qualifications and other necessary documents, background and reference checks, competency assessment tests, and criminal record checks.
In this regard, by virtue of your application, you acknowledge that SANBI’s authorised verification agent(s) and service providers will access your personal information including special personal information to conduct background screening, verification of qualifications and other necessary documents, reference checks, competency assessment tests, and criminal record checks. For more information, kindly refer to SANBI’s website.
Persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply . SANBI reserves the right not to fill this position. All applications will be considered with the understanding that, in terms of the SANBI Employment Equity Plan, preference will be given to candidates from the designated groups.
Postal applications must be addressed to:
Deputy Director: Human Resources,
South African National Biodiversity Institute,
Private Bag X7,
Candidates are expected to be available for selection interviews on a date and time as determined by SANBI. If no response has been received within 30 days of the closing date, candidates must consider their applications unsuccessful.
Tel.: +27 (0)21 799 8878/8800
Closes: Friday, 05 August 2022
Job type: Permanent
Location: Nieuwoudtville, Northern Cape
Salary: R882 042.00 per annum