Reference number: RHEC/2019/001
The South African National Biodiversity Institute (SANBI) requires the services of an enthusiastic, attention to detail, client focused, and responsible person to support the Curator of the Compton Herbarium.
Prospective applicants must be in possession of a three year tertiary qualification - BSc in Biological Sciences, enhanced by five (5) years’ relevant experience in herbarium/museum/other archival collection facility as well experience in Supervision of staff. The successful candidate must demonstrate the ability to maintain sound interpersonal relations, attention to detail and have an excellent spoken and written command of English.
The successful candidate must be client focused, have strong leadership, planning and organizational skills, and computer proficient in MS Office. The applicant must be in possession of a valid Code B/C1 drivers’ license with one year’s driving experience.
The responsibilities include:
- Coordinating the implementation and evaluation of the loans, curatorial, digitization and identification services (including line management of herbarium support staff);
- Contribute to herbarium planning and the drafting of herbarium reports when required;
- Liaise with clients and scientific visitors, answer or refer herbarium and scientific queries, communicate and train visitors and new staff/interns/students on the relevant policies and procedure for the correct handling of the specimens, coordinator outreach displays;
- Coordinate procurement of specialized herbarium curatorial supplies;
- Physical and scientific curation.
1) An application form must accompany the CV together with a letter motivating why the applicant should be favourably considered for the position and confirming that the minimum qualifications are met (applicants lacking evidence of relevant experience will not be considered).
2) A skills test will be conducted as part of the selection process.
3) Applicants must also provide the full names, telephone numbers and e-mail addresses of at least three referees.
4) Failure to submit the requested information may result in your application not being considered.
Persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. SANBI reserves the right not to fill this position.
All applications will be considered with the understanding that, in terms of the SANBI Employment Equity Plan, preference will currently be given to candidates from the designated groups.
Contact Ms Glynnis Webb on (021) 799 8635/8800 or forward the completed application form, a letter and concise CV via e-mail to email@example.com or fax 086 589 9569.
Postal applications are to be addressed to:
Deputy Director: Human Resources,
South African National Biodiversity Institute,
Private Bag X7,
Candidates are expected to be available for selection interviews on a date and time as determined by SANBI. If no response has been received within 30 days of the closing date, candidates may consider their applications unsuccessful.
Closes: Friday, 13 September 2019
Location: Cape Town
Job type: Permanent
Salary package: R250 278.00 to R350 389.00 per annum