Reference Number: GPTA/2019/003
The South African National Biodiversity Institute (SANBI) requires the services of an organized, dedicated person to render, garden management and horticultural services support to the Pretoria National Botanical Garden.
Prospective applicants must be in possession of a relevant NQF level 6 qualification (e.g. National Diploma in Horticulture) with 5 years relevant working experience in a horticultural industry in design and maintenance. The successful candidate must have supervisory skills, horticultural project coordination skills and report writing skills.
The incumbent should have a love for nature and the outdoors and enjoy working with plants and people. Some experience in general garden management and working with indigenous plants and/or botanical garden would be advantageous. The candidate must be in possession of a valid (unendorsed) Code B drivers’ license.
- Horticultural Research and Development
- Human Capital Development
- Curation of Living Collections
- Horticultural Maintenance and Development
- Plant Conservation and Collaboration
- Ensure compliance with Health and Safety laws
- Administrative and logistical responsibilities
Sound basic computer skills and experience with MS Office (MS Word, MS Excel and PowerPoint) is essential. The successful candidate must demonstrate the ability to maintain sound interpersonal relations and have an excellent spoken and written command of English, as well as the ability to work independently and as part of a team. It is essential that the successful candidate be fit and capable of hiking over difficult terrain and under adverse weather conditions, as it is a requirement to go in field trips.
Salary commensurate with a range of inputs and outputs in terms of the SANBI career ladder for horticulturists.
Please do not apply online for this position. Applications should be forwarded to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
1) An application form must accompany the CV together with a letter motivating why the applicant should be favourably considered for the position and confirming that the minimum qualifications are met (applicants lacking evidence of relevant experience will not be considered).
2) A skills test will be conducted as part of the selection process.
3) Applicants must also provide the full names, addresses and telephone numbers and if possible e-mail addresses of at least three referees.
4) Failure to submit the requested information and reference number may result in your application not being considered.
Persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. SANBI reserves the right not to fill this position.
All applications will be considered with the understanding that, in terms of the SANBI Employment Equity Plan, preference will currently be given to candidates from the designated groups.
Contact Mr. William Mahlangu on 012 843 5216 or, preferably, forward the completed application form, a letter, certified copies of qualifications and concise CV via e-mail to email@example.com or fax 012 843 5222.
Postal applications are to be addressed to:
Assistant Director: Human Resources,
South African National Biodiversity Institute,
Private Bag X101,
Candidates are expected to be available for selection interviews on a date and time as determined by SANBI. If no response has been received within 30 days of the closing date, candidates may consider their applications unsuccessful.
Closes: Friday, 15 February 2019