Call for postgraduate scholarships 2023
The South African National Biodiversity Institute (SANBI) is pleased to announce a call for applications for Honours, Masters and Doctoral (or equivalent NQF levels) scholarships for full time studies in 2023.
Only projects relevant to SANBI’s mandate and research strategy and identified as a priority will be considered. For specific projects click here. For other projects, please contact us before submitting an application to check if your proposal is suitable.
Candidates must be pro-active, enthusiastic, and interested in doing excellent research that can make a difference. These scholarships are only available to South African citizens and will be awarded in line with national equity targets. Students need to apply for university programmes themselves and the scholarship is conditional upon them securing their placement in a postgraduate programme and have provisional acceptance from prospective academic supervisors. Please contact the SANBI supervisor for endorsement prior to applying.
- Only full-time studies will be supported
- Applicants must be South African citizens
- Applicants can register at any South African university
- Applicants must be based in the Western Cape for at least three (3) months of every year of study for field work and face to face consultation with SANBI supervisors (where relevant).
- The focus of research projects, including field sites must be in the Western Cape
- Only research projects in line with SANBI’s mandate and research strategy will be considered
- Applicants must not be employed
- Existing studies will not be supported
- Registration for a second Honours, Masters or Doctoral degree will not be considered
- Where applicants hold partial scholarships/bursaries, co-funding will be considered
Scholarship values: (to cover living expenses and university fees)
- Honours: R96 000 for one year only
- Masters: R144 000/year for two years
- Doctoral: R180 000/year for three years
Project running expenses will be covered separately and will vary depending on the project.
Each application is to be accompanied by a studentship application form available with this advert.
Applications are to include:
- a letter of interest;
- a one-page project outline for Honours applications or a two-page project outline for Masters and Doctoral applications;
- a full CV;
- letters of reference from two academic supervisors;
- an agreement from a prospective academic supervisor;
- a statement of support from a SANBI staff member who is to act as a contact or co-supervisor;
- a certified copy of academic record;
- a certified copy of highest degree;
- a certified copy of ID
All documents to be submitted as a single pdf file.
Successful candidates will be notified before the end of October 2022. SANBI reserves the right not to fill these scholarships.
If no response has been received within 30 days of the closing date, candidates may assume that their applications were unsuccessful.
Closes: Friday, 30 September 2022
Location: South Africa