Reference number: S/02/2023
The South African National Biodiversity Institute (SANBI) is looking for well-qualified, experienced, hard-working, enthusiastic and motivated person to be appointed as a Locum/Part-time Veterinarian at the National Zoological Garden (NZG) in Pretoria. The Locum/Part-time Clinical Veterinarian will be expected to work as and when required in conducting veterinary clinical diagnostics and treatment of animals in the collections. The NZG’s animal collections encompass more than 4000 specimens representing mammals, birds, reptiles, fish and other taxa.
Inherent Job Requirements:
The appointment requires 4 years qualification in Veterinary Science, or equivalent qualification at NQF Level 8 enhanced by minimum of 8 years’ relevant experience in clinical wildlife veterinary science.
The successful candidate must:
- Be registered as Veterinarian with the South African Veterinary Council (SAVC)
- Have completed additional veterinary courses.
- Have experience with wildlife (non-domestic) animals and knowledge in zoological medicine, research would be considered an advantage.
- Necropsy examination of animals and birds.
- Demonstrate evidence based medical approach to treatments and diagnosis of animals related welfare and disease concerns.
- Have experience in wildlife capture and anesthesia.
- Have valid driver’s license.
Preferred skills and experience include good interpersonal skills, communication skills (internal & external), problem solving, strong leadership skills, project management, analytic, good networking and stakeholder engagement, teamwork, financial analysis and reporting, and people management.
Key responsibilities include:
- Perform animal health and welfare services in support to National Zoological Gardens’ strategic plan,
- Provide an effective animal health, treatment, and care service by conforming to the veterinary code of conduct and highest ethics code.
- Maintain legal and professional accountabilities and responsibilities.
1) An application form must accompany the CV together with a letter motivating why the applicant should be favorably considered for the position and confirming that the minimum qualifications are met. Applicants lacking evidence of relevant experience will not be considered.
2) A skills test, competency assessment and background checks will be conducted as part of the selection process.
3) Applicants must also provide their full names, addresses and telephone numbers, and if possible, e-mail addresses of at least three referees.
4) Failure to submit the requested information may result in your application not being considered. Persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. SANBI reserves the right not to fill this position. All applications will be considered with the understanding that, in terms of the SANBI Employment Equity Plan, preference will currently be given to candidates from the designated groups.
Forward the completed application form, a cover letter, concise CV, and accompanying documents via e-mail to S.Nku@sanbi.org.za
Candidates are expected to be available for selection interviews on a date and time as determined by SANBI. If no response has been received within 10 days of the closing date, candidates must consider their applications unsuccessful.
Ms. Seipati Nku
Tel.: 083 292 3686
Closes: Tuesday, 12 September 2023
Job type: Part time
Remuneration: Hourly rate