Reference number: BIT/011/2023
The South African National Biodiversity Institute (SANBI) is looking for a self-motivated individual to protect business information and systems from cyber threats, including bugs, malware, and hacking attempts.
This position requires a degree in Information Technology, Computer Sciences or equivalent qualification with NQF 7. A postgraduate qualification in in Information Technology, Computer Sciences or equivalent qualification with NQF 8 will be an added advantage. This position also requires 6 years of work experience in the relevant field, 3 years of which should be at supervisory level.
The following competencies are required for the candidate to be successful in this position: Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA) is essential; Cisco Certified Network Professional Certification (CCNP) is essential; Azure Network Certification is essential; A minimum of 6 years networking design and architecture; A minimum of 6 years technical networking operations and support; A minimum of 6 years technical networking security configuration, administration and support in a Microsoft Office 365; a clear-thinker able to solve problems and see all sides of a situation; ability to manage high pressure and be able to juggle with multiple stakeholders each with their own challenges whilst multi skilling across multi projects simultaneously; demonstrate outstanding stakeholder engagement and relationships management; attention to detail in dealing with budgeting, financial management, and reporting; advanced planning, organizing, problem solving skills; proven ability to work under pressure with diverse team while being quality, cost, and safety conscious; extensive knowledge and experience in working with legislation, policies, procedures, processes, practices, systems, and frameworks related to provision of information technology support and services; excellent communication skills at all levels (both verbal and written); excellent computer literacy and experience in the application of software tools including (Ms Word, MS Project, PowerPoint, Excel, Internet and Outlook). The possession of a valid driver’s licence with at least one-year practical driving experience and a willingness to travel is essential.
Key performance responsibilities include:
- Champion designing and implementing new network solutions and/or improving the efficiency of current networks;
- Perfect maximization of network performance through on going monitoring and troubleshooting;
- Champion reporting network status to key stakeholders and implementation of security tools, policies, and procedures; and
- Participate in leading management of regional
1) An application form must accompany the CV together with a letter motivating why the applicant should be favourably considered for this position, and certified qualifications confirming that the minimum qualifications are met (applicants lacking evidence of meeting minimum qualifications and relevant experience will not be considered).
2) A competency test will be conducted as part of the selection process.
3) Applicants must also provide the full names, addresses and telephone numbers and if possible e-mail addresses of at least three referees.
4) Failure to submit the requested information and reference number shall result in your application not being considered.
Personal Information will be processed by SANBI for purposes of assessing your suitability for the advertised position. SANBI may also share your personal information including special personal information with service providers or third parties, both within the Republic of South Africa and in other jurisdictions, to carry out verification of qualifications and other necessary documents, background and reference checks, competency assessment tests, and criminal record checks.
In this regard, by virtue of your application, you acknowledge that SANBI’s authorised verification agent(s) and service providers will access your personal information including special personal information to conduct background screening, verification of qualifications and other necessary documents, reference checks, competency assessment tests, and criminal record checks. For more information, kindly refer to SANBI’s website.
Persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. SANBI reserves the right not to fill this position. All applications will be considered with the understanding that, in terms of the SANBI Employment Equity Plan, preference will be given to candidates from the designated groups.
Postal applications must be addressed to:
Assistant Director: Human Resources
South African National Biodiversity Institute
Private Bag X101
Candidates are expected to be available for selection interviews on a date and time as determined by SANBI. If no response has been received within 30 days of the closing date, candidates must consider their applications unsuccessful.
Mr Steve Mahlangu
Tel.: (012) 843 5217
Closes: Friday, 15 September 2023
Job type: Permanent
Salary: R424 104.00 per annum