Reference number: NSCF/2021/001
The South African National Biodiversity Institute (SANBI) requires an enthusiastic, responsible team player to lead the implementation of the Biodiversity Biobank SA communication and outreach activities, manage and produce various materials and ensure appropriate dissemination of these, and contribute to the production of training materials for the Natural Science Collections Facility.
The appointment requires a relevant 3-year degree in Life Sciences, Ecology, Biology, Botany, or equivalent qualification with NQF 7, followed by course/s in science communication/journalism/ media studies enhanced by at least 6 years’ experience in producing articles for electronic or print media on biological science research related issues and using social media (setting up Facebook page and Twitter account and regular postings using these media), website maintenance and video production and editing. Experience in video editing, working with WordPress websites, graphic design, development of materials for online science education/training would be an added advantage.
Furthermore the suitable candidate must have the ability to maintain sound interpersonal relations and have highly effective verbal and written communication capabilities. Proficiency in MS Office is also a specific requirement for this post. The successful candidate must be in possession of a valid Code B driver’s license, as well as be willing to travel.
- Outreach and communication to the public on Biodiversity Biobanks.
- Produce materials for and regularly update communication media – including regular posting of relevant material on the Biodiversity Biobanks SA Facebook page, Twitter account and website, general maintenance of the communication platforms.
- Production of online education and training materials for the Natural Science Collections Facility and Biodiversity Biobanks SA, including video editing of online tutorials and workshops.
1) Apply online, complete the application form and attach the CV together with a letter motivating why the applicant should be favourably considered for the position and confirming that the minimum qualifications are met (applicants lacking evidence of relevant experience will not be considered)
2) A skills test will be conducted as part of the selection process
3) Applicants must also provide the full names, addresses and telephone numbers and if possible e-mail addresses of at least three referees.
4) Failure to submit the requested information may result in your application not being considered.
Persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. SANBI reserves the right not to fill this position.
All applications will be considered with the understanding that, in terms of the SANBI Employment Equity Plan, preference will currently be given to candidates from the designated groups.
Contact Mr. Mzekelo Mpatani on 012 843 5229 or, preferably, forward the completed application form, a letter, certified copies of qualifications and concise CV via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax 012 843 5222.
Postal applications are to be addressed to:
Assistant Director: Human Resources,
South African National Biodiversity Institute,
Private Bag X101,
Candidates are expected to be available for interviews on a date and time as determined by SANBI. If no response has been received within 30 days of the closing date, candidates may consider their applications unsuccessful.
Closes: Friday, 19 February 2021
Location: Pretoria (option of basing post at other Centres may be considered)
Job type: Two (2) year contract
Salary package: R370 655.00 to R 518 916.00 per annum