Reference number: BIPA/2018/002
The South African National Biodiversity Institute (SANBI) is looking for a highly motivated person to manage SANBI’s projects related to Natural Capital Accounting (NCA), including the EU-funded Natural Capital Accounting and Valuation of Ecosystem Services project and the NCA component of the Ecological Infrastructure for Water Security Project.
This position requires a relevant post graduate degree in one of the following fields: economics, social sciences, natural sciences, environmental management, conservation, or management (MBA). In addition, at least 8 years’ relevant working experience is required, including experience in managing complex donor-funded projects, co-ordinating multi-partner project teams, managing relationships with a range of stakeholders, and writing project reports.
Exposure to and knowledge of natural capital accounting and/or ecological infrastructure and/or ecosystem services and/or spatial biodiversity assessment and planning is also required. Management level experience in government and exposure to the PFMA requirements would be an added advantage.
The incumbent must demonstrate good knowledge of financial and project management processes, and must have excellent writing and verbal communication skills as well as high levels of computer literacy. The ability to maintain sound interpersonal relations and to work in a methodical and organised manner, strong conceptual and analytical skills, problem-solving, flexibility and adaptability are critical attributes for the post. A valid Code B (unendorsed) driver’s license with one year’s practical driving experience is required.
The appointee will be responsible for amongst others:
- Managing the development of priority ecosystem accounts and other NCA project deliverables with project partners, including detailed work planning with relevant partners and convening multi-organisational project teams.
- Providing project management functions for SANBI’s natural capital accounting projects, including monitoring progress, adaptive management of project work plans, and reporting on project progress to donors.
- Procuring and managing contracts with service providers assisting with SANBI’s natural capital accounting projects when required.
- Providing financial management functions for SANBI’s natural capital accounting projects, including preparing annual budgets, tracking expenditure and ensuring that this complies with Treasury requirements, and financial reporting to donors.
SANBI offers an all-inclusive annual salary package of R826 053.00
1) Application form is obtainable from this website, attach the CV together with a letter motivating why the applicant should be favourably considered for the position and confirming that the minimum qualifications are met (applicants lacking evidence of relevant experience will not be considered)
2) A skills test and competency assessment will be conducted as part of the selection process
3) Applicants must also provide the full names, addresses and telephone numbers and if possible e-mail addresses of at least three referees.
4) Failure to submit the requested information may result in your application not being considered.
Please do not apply online for this position. Please send your application to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. SANBI reserves the right not to fill this position.
All applications will be considered with the understanding that, in terms of the SANBI Employment Equity Plan, preference will currently be given to candidates from the designated groups. Applicants who applied previously for this position may re-apply.
Contact Mr. Steve Mahlangu on 012 843 5217 or, preferably, forward the completed application form a letter, certified copies of qualifications and concise CV via e-mail to email@example.com or fax 012 843 5222.
Postal applications are to be addressed to the Assistant Director: Human Resources, South African National Biodiversity Institute, Private Bag X101, Silverton, 0001.
Candidates are expected to be available for interviews on a date and time as determined by SANBI. If no response has been received within 30 days of the closing date, candidates may consider their applications unsuccessful.
Closes: Friday, 19 October 2018
Location: Pretoria and Cape Town