Reference Number: RHED/2019/00/01
The South African National Biodiversity Institute (SANBI) requires highly motivated scientists to conduct taxonomic research on the South African flora in accordance with the Biosystematics Research Strategy; disseminate research findings through publications; curate herbarium collections for certain plant families and provide information services for specialist families.
The appointments require qualifications and experience as follows:
Be in possession of at least an MSc in a field of plant science. The potential candidate must provide evidence of skills in scientific writing in the form of at least two relevant first authored papers in peer-reviewed journals demonstrating herbarium collection-based research.
The following applies. A Code EB/B driver’s licence is essential, and proficiency in MS Office is essential. The successful candidate must demonstrate the ability to maintain sound interpersonal relations and have an excellent spoken and written command of English, as well as the ability to work independently and as part of a team.
Key Responsibilities will include to:
- Design and carry out taxonomic research projects in line with SANBI’s strategy and priorities, and apply for external funding;
- Publish/disseminate results of research and scientific compilation (including e-Flora);
- Scientific curation of herbarium specimens;
- Plant identifications and answering enquiries related to specialist plant families.
SANBI offers an all-inclusive annual salary package commensurate with a range of inputs and outputs in terms of the SANBI career ladder for scientist.
Please do not apply online for this position. Applications should be forwarded to: email@example.com.
1) Portfolio of evidence (Scientist application form) must be accompanied by a letter motivating why the applicant should be favourably considered for the position and confirming that the minimum qualifications are met (applicants lacking evidence of relevant qualifications will not be considered).
2) A skills test will be conducted as part of the selection process.
3) Applicants must provide the full names, telephone numbers and e-mail addresses of at least three referees.
4) Failure to submit the requested information and reference number will result in your application not being considered.
Persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. SANBI reserves the right not to fill this position. All applications will be considered with the understanding that, in terms of the SANBI Employment Equity Plan, preference will currently be given to candidates from the designated groups.
Contact Mr Mzekelo Mpatani on 012 843 5229 or forward the completed portfolio of evidence, a motivational letter, concise CV and certified qualifications via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. Postal applications are to be addressed to the Assistant Director: Human Resources, South African National Biodiversity Institute, Private Bag x 101, Silverton, 1804.
Candidates are expected to be available for selection interviews on a date and time as determined by SANBI.
If no response has been received within 30 days of the closing date, candidates may consider their application unsuccessful.
Closes: Tuesday, 19 February 2019