Reference number: BID/2018/005
Contract position – ending on 31 March 2022
The South African National Botanical Institute (SANBI) is looking to appoint a highly motivated individual to assist with the compilation of information on biological invasions in South Africa and to research quality and completeness of existing data and develop mechanisms for addressing key gaps. This position is essential for SANBI to deliver on its mandate under the National Environmental Management: Biodiversity Act (in particular the Alien and Invasive Species Regulations).
Appointment requires at least an MSc in an appropriate Biological Science discipline, and a minimum of two papers published in scientific literature. Two years’ relevant working experience involving aspects of biological invasions and biodiversity information compilation and co-ordination would be an added advantage. The incumbent should have a good command of spoken and written English and another official language, have experience in MS Office, and ideally a code B driver’s license with at least one year driving experience.
- Establishing and maintaining stakeholder partnerships in order to obtain relevant data to support the National Status Report on Biological Invasions;
- Updating and curating the databases of information related to biological invasions;
- Research into biological invasions in line with SANBI priorities and mandate;
- Supervise and provide mentorship to interns or young scientist;
- Provide general support to the coordinator of National Status Report on Biological Invasions.
Salary commensurate with a range of inputs and outputs in terms of the SANBI career ladder for scientists.
1) Portfolio of evidence must be accompanied by a letter motivating why the applicant should be favourably considered for the position and confirming that the minimum qualifications are met (applicants lacking evidence of relevant qualifications will not be considered). Portfolio of evidence template can be requested by firstname.lastname@example.org
2) A skills test will be conducted as part of the selection process.
3) Applicants must also provide the full names, address and telephone number and if possible e-mail address of at least three referees.
4) Failure to submit the requested information and reference number will result in your application not being considered.
Persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. SANBI reserves the right not to fill this position.
All applications will be considered with the understanding that, in terms of the SANBI Employment Equity Plan, preference will currently be given to candidates from the designated groups.
Postal applications are to be addressed to:
Deputy Director: Human Resources,
South African National Biodiversity Institute,
Private Bag X7,
Candidates are expected to be available for selection interviews on a date and time as determined by SANBI. If no response has been received within 30 days of the closing date, candidates may consider their applications unsuccessful.
Closes: Thursday, 21 November 2019
Location: Cape Town
Job type: Contract position ending on 31 March 2022
Salary package: Salary package commensurate with a range of inputs and outputs in terms of the career ladder for scientists