The Biodiversity Education and Empowerment programme at the Pretoria National Botanical Garden is conducted from the Environmental Education Centre. The Centre is ideally situated in the heart of a natural grassland. This makes it an ideal spot for a wide range of activities and learning opportunities about grassland biodiversity.
The Garden-based Programme targets learners (Gr R-12) and tertiary institutions.
The programmes are activity-based and learner-centred, reflecting the outcomes of the National Curriculum Statement, across all learning areas. All programmes are facilitated by trained education staff. Learners receive worksheets to complete which could serve as assessment tools and portfolio evidence. Lesson plans are available to educators.
The main focus is on learning about biodiversity and education for sustainable living. There are a variety of programmes on ecology and surveys, diversity and classification of life, threats to biodiversity and how dependent people are on using plants in everyday life.
(For reservations see Contact Details below)
Booking is essential. Book at least one month in advance to avoid disappointment.
- School bookings can be made for any weekday between 09h00 and 12h30 & 13h30-16h00.
- Guided educational visits cost R10.00 per learner (a minimum number of 16 learners is required). Teachers who assist get free entrance (1 teacher per 20 learners).
- A 50% deposit is required to secure a booking for a guided visit.
- We can accommodate a max of 120 learners per day.
- Bring your own refreshments, as there is no kiosk.
- Learners should wear their school uniform. Comfortable shoes are essential (also for educators).
Should you prefer to conduct your own outing, the cost is R7.00 per learner and R20.00 per adult.
List of programmes on offer
Download the List of Programmes on offer.