What is Ecosystem-based Adaptation?
Ecosystem-based Adaptation (EbA) is the use of biodiversity and ecosystems to support communities to adapt to life in a less predictable climate system. Investments in the management, restoration and rehabilitation of ecosystems and their services are investments in the communities who depend on them.
Ecosystem-based Adaptation efforts can lessen flooding, improve water and soil quality, and contribute to livelihood opportunities. They deliver benefits for society and the environment at the same time, and are an important way of safeguarding development in the face of climate change.
Please click here to access a copy of the Final Strategic Framework and Overarching Implementation Plan for EbA in South Africa.
Other EbA documents
- South Africa’s Ecosystem-based Adaptation (EbA) Guidelines
- South Africa’s Ecosystem-based Adaptation (EbA) Guidelines Booklet
- Factsheet: Ecosystem-based Adaptation in South Africa
- Case Study – EbA in South Africa
- Ecosystem-based Adaptation Action Plan and Priority Mapping